Thursday 11 December 2014

Behind the Rifle

It was the summer of 1965 when I was born. Unlike you humans, us guns are born far more mature and intelligent than you babies! I love my home of America. The weather's great and the food is fantastic; the people are generous too. It’s weird though, when I get angry my body fills with rage. In fact there's so much rage that I can’t contain myself. Then I seem to release some sort of missile or something like that. Then I forget my anger and why I was angry in the first place. I just feel back to normal again.

One day, these people said to me that I had won a free holiday to Vietnam. I couldn’t wait. I’d heard lots of great things about that country. Unfortunately though, I couldn’t take my family because it was only directed at me. I love my family. My wife and two kids. I can’t ask for anymore. As I was packing my bags I thought, why was it only directed at me, why can’t I take my family?
The flight I was catching was very early in the morning so I left my family a note to say goodbye and headed off to the airport, leaving them to sleep peacefully. As I got on the plane, I realised that there were lots of other guns just like me. Then I thought why are there heaps of other both mentally and physically strong guns, just like me but from across the nation? Like they want us to do something that would be too challenging for other guns to do.

As I arrived in Vietnam these people took me from a box and loaded me and these other guns in a truck. As the truck was moving I noticed that Vietnam had a lot more violence than what people had told me, like there was some sort of crime wave happening. As I looked around, I could see bombs going off, people shooting at each other. Then I realised that this was no holiday, this was a war.
How dare those people trick me against my will by saying that this was some sort of holiday? Who do they think I am?  Hey, who’s carrying me now? Get your dirty hands off me! I was getting so angry that the rage I was talking about earlier was filling me up again. We all know what's going to happen next.
And what just happened? I’m fine now and I’ll expect the situation I’m in but I think I let off one of my missiles. It’s OK though because it doesn’t hurt anybody. I looked around to see this poor man lying on the ground dead. Who dared do this? That poor man probably had a family who loved him and he loved back and now some sick-minded thing killed him. As I looked closer, I realised it had the same coding I had on me. No you don’t mean. Oh my god, I just killed a poor and innocent man. Those horrible things I was saying about the killer was about me - I’m a killer.
Why did I do that? I need to go back home. I miss my family and my home. ‘Hey you’! I said aggressively to the person carrying me, ‘take me home right now or you know what’ll happen’. He just ignored me, like he couldn’t hear a word I said. 'Don’t ignore me or I’ll...!'

And what happened? I must have let off my anger again. I hope I didn’t hurt anybody. I look around and see another dead person. No, why again? Why have I done it again? Please, I’m begging you to leave me alone now; I don’t want to kill anybody. Leave me alone I say, I don’t want to let out my anger again, get off me now before I...
I woke up and saw another dead person. I knew it was me. Why do I keep doing this? It’s almost like they made me to kill. I know it’s an awful thing to do but I have an addiction for murder, I want to kill. 
For the next couple of months while the war is on, I kill anyone in front me, not because that’s what I think is right but I just can’t contain myself.
One day I just felt myself fall onto the floor and I stayed there. ‘Come back here!’ I cried, ‘How dare you just leave me here now? I want to kill more people!’ But that was the last I was going to see of him.
I lay on the field for 20 years. Have I changed? No, I’m just planning my next attack. Finally, I saw someone coming to get me. He must be my new owner, thank you. I’m going to kill again. He put me into a plane and I was taken to a place called ‘England’. Well, England, get ready for hell.
Once I got to my destination I realised we were at some sort of museum. Great - an assassination where nobody expects it. The museum I was taken to was called the ‘Pitt Rivers’. I was then put into this box and left there. 'Get me out of here so that I can kill!’ I shouted. Nobody listened to me, just like when I was fighting. I looked up and it said ‘Gun Insane Asylum’. Insane, I am no such thing.
It has been 20 years since I was first put here and I have realised that I shouldn’t have done what I did in Vietnam. I try to tell the people I’m better now but they don’t listen to me. I miss my family and home. Please, next time you see me please save me and take me back home where I belong.

by Jacques Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment