Thursday 11 December 2014

The Samurai Sword

There, on the battlefield, coated in crimson sweat I emerged once again from my armour. I hissed with anticipation as my back scraped the cold, hard leather. We faced our opponent, looking straight into their eyes as though their armour wasn’t even there. My master wielded me, gripping me tightly. He thought a little too much of himself, but so did we all. It’s the way we had to think to survive in the hostile circuit. Our moment had come; he pounced, we slashed. I felt the warm life disintegrate inside our opponent as I passed below his jaw. For a moment, we just stood there, basking in our conquest as a wisp of wind emerged from the cluster of warriors surrounding us. Suddenly, my master’s grip tightened on me. Something was wrong. Slowly, I saw the ground ascend upon me. We had been beaten. No. This couldn’t be right. This wasn’t happening. I was held by the most skilled swordsman in all of China. It couldn’t be that our glory had fallen at last. Could it?


I waited. All I could do was wait. In that moment, I felt stripped of all confidence and power. I had never felt like that before, but there I was; laid alone on the patchy, uneven ground, my master's corpse peeled off from around me. All I had was gone, all I had worked for was nothing and all I was, was alone.


Still cold and forgotten, I lay wedged in place for many centuries. The space around me screamed silence until suddenly, I heard something. Muffled above layers ground, it was the sound of voices. Crunch. The ground on top of me was bitten off as a harsh beam of refreshing white light kissed my blade. Quickly, I was snatched out of the ground and held up for all to see.  I was once again whole.



Macintosh HD:Users:equi_ruby:Desktop:Unknown.jpeg

by Ruby Campion

No comments:

Post a Comment