Wednesday 10 December 2014

The Protection Spear

My name is Kekipi and I live in Vanuatu by the faith and rules of the Kuku Maka tribe. Our tribe is like a family: we explore together, work together and hunt together. I love having a big family - we are all loyal and loving to each other but one bad part about having a big family is death. We are all going to die one day; I just didn't think it would happen so soon. So I came up with a plan, this plan would honour and protect my family forever.


To remember my family after they had died, I would collect their bones. I picked the best two from each of them, then I sharpened them. To protect them I coated them with a layer of poison, then I made a spear out of them. By the time I had finished the spear, there were twelve long bones on it. The bones were from my Grandfather, Grandmother, Father, Mother, Brother, and my Sister. Here they are:


"Hello, my name is Ailani meaning high chief, I am Kekipi's Grandfather. Two years ago I ate one of the most poisons spiders in the world; we were at the spider festival where we burn spiders to a crisp, it is a loud festival, there is fire everywhere. Then during the ceremony I put one of the spiders in my mouth but it bit me, I could feel the poison rushing through my body all the way to my toes. I died then and there, I went in pain however the worst part was I went without saying goodbye."


"Hello, I am Kekipi's Grandmother and my name is Hawika, which means beloved. I was out collecting fruit for the tribe in the forest, it was a peaceful day but then suddenly a gigantic rhino came running towards me. It attacked me and threw me to the ground. Then I started to lose feeling of my body; I felt sad as I was alone and I felt as though I had lost my pride. I then joined Ailani in the afterlife. This was a year and a half ago now."


"Hi, I am Hiapo, which means first born and I am Kekipi's older brother. I died unexpectedly. I was so young; I had the rest of my life ahead of me as I was only eighteen. Our tribe had been at war with the Iona Tribe for years. I started fighting when I was sixteen then two years later, I died. I was just looking up but then I saw an arrow flying towards me, I didn't know what to do and I couldn’t move fast enough. It struck me right in the heart. I didn't feel much pain as it was a quick death, but as I was lying there I couldn't stop thinking about how I had let my tribe down. However, a year later my father led our tribe to victory."


"Hello my name Kau'i and I am the proud mother of Kekipi. My name means the beauty. Two years ago our tribe got attacked by the 'invaders'. I had to fight as I had no other choice. They wanted our goods but I refused, I tried to save my house from destruction but they threw me to the ground and then they kicked me, yet now I remember nothing after that. No goodbyes, no nothing."


"Hello I am Ikaia, meaning strong and powerful. Last year I was out collecting fish for my tribe. Then suddenly the boat shook and flipped over. I fell straight into the sea. I panicked; I knew something was wrong so I swam as fast as I could towards land, but I wasn't quick enough. The next moment I felt something bite my leg, then it dragged me backwards. I started to feel the pain; I could see blood in the water. It was then I realised it was a shark, I could have tried escaping but it would have been no use so I just waited until I died."


"Hey, my name is Ka Pua and I am Kekipi's sister. My name, Ka Pua, means the blossom. I died a peaceful death surrounded by my family. I got a terrible illness but I didn't mind, I mean yes I felt pain and yes I felt ill but it wasn't about that anymore and at least I had a proper send-off with all my family and I said all my goodbyes."

That was my family, I love them all and I am proud of them all. I promise to protect and honour them forever. And now that I have finished my spear, nobody will ever hurt them.



 by Sadie Rees

No comments:

Post a Comment